Skip to main content

Citizen Guidance

A partnership between the Town and its citizens can go a long way to keep our storm drains clean and clear! Prevent water pollution by following the tips in the video below!

Providing Support for Management of Stormwater Issues

Committed to helping our customers address stormwater concerns, Town staff is available to provide technical guidance. Staff can suggest strategies that a homeowner may implement to mitigate certain drainage issues, although we are unable to provide engineering design or oversight services, we are able to share our knowledge base and experience as well as contact information for resources and solutions.

Typical concerns addressed include: 

  • Chronically wet areas in yard
  • Erosion at the inlet or outlet of a storm drain pipe
  • Broken or blocked storm drain pipes
  • Sinkhole on property
  • Yard erosion
  • Debris jam in drainage channel
  • Illegal/unknown discharge
  • Stream erosion or maintenance
  • Home/driveway/yard flooding
  • Floodplains
  • Stormwater drainage infrastructure

Understanding Drainage Easements and Drainage Issues on your Property

A drainage easement is an area identified on a survey plat delineating typical flow paths of stormwater runoff during a storm event (overland flow, in a ditch, or in a pipe). It allows upstream property owners the right to drain stormwater runoff across downstream properties through the drainage easement.  Maintenance responsibilities for the drainage easement vary, depending on Ownership maintenance and Dedication language on each respective subdivision plat.  The Town does not maintain drainage easements on private or commercial properties, unless specific language defining these responsibilities is included on the final plat and agreed to by Town officials.  The Town typically maintains drainage responsibilities within the right of way of public roadways.

The Town of Tyrone does not regulate individual lot drainage. Storm drainage issues between property owners are a civil matter. If you plan improvements or modifications to your landscape which impact storm water runoff, please take your neighbor's property into consideration.


Yes. However, it is your responsibility to make sure the changes do not cause damage to the property rights of others. It may become a civil matter.

A French drain is used in areas that are soggy for an extended period of time or where water can pool. A French drain collects surface water or groundwater and moves it to a location where it will effectively drain.

No. The stream is the responsibility of the property owner, as there is typically no drainage easements associated with streams.  Homeowners should be aware that no land disturbance can occur within the stream buffer, which is a minimum of 50 feet on either side of the stream within the Town, without first getting approval via a stream buffer variance through the State Environmental Protection Division.

No. However, upon request we will conduct a site visit and provide technical guidance.

If your streambank is edged with a natural buffer such as trees or shrubs, keep them in place. Do not cut back on the vegetative area or mow grass right up to the streambank. Get other ideas for reinforcing streambanks.

Determine the source of the water.  Is the water from stormwater runoff, a spring, or a high water table? Your solution will depend on the water source. Solutions may include installing a French drain or establishing a rain garden or wet-loving plants to absorb the water.

Yes, but only if the water is dechlorinated. Also, consider the impact the volume of water may have on neighboring properties.

No. These actions violate the Town’s illegal discharge ordinance/NPDES Permits. Only rain and other allowable stormwater discharges listed below may enter a storm drain or creek.  If you see or suspect an illegal discharge, call (770) 881-8320.

Allowable Stormwater Discharges
Residential and charity car-washing Dechlorinated swimming pool discharges Air conditioning condensate


Street wash water

Flows from firefighting activities Waterline and fire hydrant flushing


Footing drains

Foundation drains Water from crawl space pumps


Rising groundwaters

Landscape irrigation  

Since ponds are typically installed by the builder as a stormwater control measure to improve stormwater runoff quality, either your Homeowner’s Association (HOA) or the Town is responsible for maintaining it.  This depends on whether there is a maintenance agreement between the Town and HOA that specifies who is responsible for the pond.  In the absence of an agreement, responsibility for maintaining the pond will be based on the language and easements included on the official recorded subdivision plat.  The Town does not maintain ponds on private and commercial property.